Campaign for informationOur licence plate lookup utilises Government data for 64 districts in the UK. The councils publish real-time information for all the licensed taxi drivers in the districts and we allow the general public to access this, for free, in an intuitive, easy-to-use friendly interface. We're happy to develop mobile applications and tools allowing people to access this information.
Unfortunately, there's still over 310 districts that we don't support for this. We have all the tools ready to do this - it's just we need access to that data from the Government. We've contacted many councils who are willing to give us static data under the Freedom of Information Act, but this isn't good enough. Static data leads to misleading information to the general public, and so we can't use it.
What we wantWe want you guys - the general public - to show that there is a real need for this information! We need you to email your council and pester them to release this information to us so we can provide this service free of charge.
Why should they?
- Under the Freedom of Information act they are legally obliged to release the information - and they will happily do so. We just need them to give us access to real-time information.
- We will happily provide tools for councils who don't already have a licence-management system online. It will allow them to easily update existing licences and add new ones.
- It's in the interest of the general public. This data can literally save lives. Many people get into unlicensed taxis because there is no real full-proof way of checking if a taxi is genuine. This is easy, instant and subtle. Just a quick check on your phone and you're good to go.
- The Government warn people about taxi safety yet they're not doing anything to stop it. Why? Because it's expensive to develop websites and apps that do this! So why not let us do it for them? For free.
- The data is already there! It's no extra work for the councils.
Let us knowWhy not pop us a Tweet, an email or a Facebook message once you've contacted your council. We love hearing from you and you'll get a response from us. Our dream is for everywhere in the UK to be supported and to minimise the number of people getting into unlicensed taxis.
If you'd like to get in touch please visit our contact page.